Re: MG Heater Tip & Question!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MG Heater Tip & Question!
From: ckr <ragthyme@fls.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 06:48:30 -0500
Jerry Causey wrote:
<snip>
... As I
> recall, the fan motors are all pretty much the same. There's a little
> thing (a techno term I frequently use) inside the fan housing which
> determines which speed the motor turns. It could be a resistor. You
> could probably get a similar result from your present fan motor by
> using a reostat switch....
>
> Regards,
> Jerry Causey
>
> > Also, I would like to replace my original single speed heater with a
> > late model MG 2 speed heater.  Will this simply bolt in?  What year
> > did BL start using the 2 speed heater?  I think it must have been
> > around 1975 or so.  I checked on the price for a three position
> > switch (off, low, high) that is the early ('62-'66) headlight
> > switch.  It costs about $30.00, from our local Moss distributor,
> > which is a little too pricey for me!  Anyone know of a less
> > expensive vendor for the same switch?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your help!
> >
> > Cheers from rainy (more to come) California!
> > Jim
Jim, Jerry, et al:

I don't know what year they started the 2-speed heater motor, but it
wasn't 75. I have a 75 and it doesn't. I DO know that: you need a
2-speed resistor; it doesn't go in the dash it goes in the fan motor; it
doesn't fit in the early fan housing; and if you convert to 2-speed you
need not only a switch but also the fan itself and a jumper wire. The
early (up to 75 and I'd guess up to 77 or so) fans had two wires coming
off the back, the later ones had three. I know because I've looked into
this ... I've got the 2-speed switch in my 75 but it's obviously not the
right one since I have the one speed motor. :)

Corey
75 MGB 'Rags'
RD#373750