Re:MGB Brakes

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:MGB Brakes
From: Sheree.Wegeng@carle.com
Date: Wednesday, 27 November 1996 7:21am CT
> >I have no idea what you are talking about, Graham. Every racing car I have
> >ever seen in this country or any other has braided steel brake lines, and I
> >have never heard of or experienced the problem of which you are speaking.
> >
> >Sheree Wegeng
> >Champaign, IL,USA
> >
> Sheree,
>
> Yes and braided hoses are OK for a Boeing 747 - because they do not flex all
> the time as does a car brake hose, especially on the front (also they are
> inspected very regularly - indeed before each flight as part of a pre flight
> inspection).  I would suggest that a racing car would similarly travel quite
> low mileage (and so get less flexing) also the race tracks they travel on
> are essentially fairly smooth (look at an on board camera view of the small
> amount on movement in a front suspension.  Finally, race cars tend to have
> their brakes inspected after every use and are rebuilt regularly.
>
> It is not my judgement that braided hoses represent a possible danger on
> cars but that of the Commonwealth Department of Transport and
> Communications, whose laboratories did the flex tests.  It is a matter of
> minute inspection to detect the braiding beginning to break away and it is,
> in my view, a realistic expcetation that the average car owner will not do
> this.  If you think you know better from your lofty and informed position
> then so be it!!
>
> Food for thought I hope, and please let's not have a three week blockage of
> the list over this.
> regards,
> Graham
> Graham McCann  Rivett, ACT. Australia
> gmccann@pcug.org.au
> 06 2889055

My, my aren't you testy!! However, having spoken with SEVERAL people over the
course of the day, and also having had experience with having braided steel
hoses on both street and race cars over the past 15 years, I can honestly say
that I have never heard of or seen this problem. My husband said that this
would be possibly be the case if you didn't change your brake hoses for 10 or
15 years, but not in normal driving. HOWEVER, far be it from me to flame the
Australian government!! I am sure that they have done some type of testing of
which I am not aware. Perhaps it involved not changing brake hoses for 10
years.(it was a joke Graham! Lighten up!)

Sheree W.