RE: Fly-off Emergency Brake

To: "BILL SCHOOLER" <bschooler@uhd2.uhd.com>
Subject: RE: Fly-off Emergency Brake
From: Ernest <barrister@lawref.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 96 13:27:58 -0800
Bill-

Correction accepted generically. My only frame of reference is US where in my
younger years handbrake and emergency brake were interchangable and I never
heard of a parking brake except in a phrase like 'set the handbrake when
parking.' Now all manufacturers seem to label the handbrake as a parking brake
and in owner's manuals refer to it as such. Instructions are given in these
manuals dictating its only safe use as a parking brake. Even they know its not
safe this way.

The terms handbrake and emergency brake have lost usage in my experience and I
personally don't refer to the self locking brake by these terms because it
isn't safe for such use.

Ernest