Re: B vrs. C

To: Lane Rollins <laner@teleport.com>
Subject: Re: B vrs. C
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 11:10:59 -0600
Lane:

Hmm, got me to thinking and I went to the books. My C/GT is a splined-hub car
so I have
to research the 5-bolt versus 4-bolt. All the 'original' books show disc wheel
'C's with
these dumpy hubcaps so I can't count the lug nuts. The books say five hole,
however.

>From the books, the rear-end ratio could be a 3.07 or 3.70 with the manual and
automatics were 3.31. Non-overdrive cars got the 3.07 and they went to 3.70 for
O/D cars
-- until the bad press for performance then all manuals got the 3.70 after
chassis
number 4235 (of about 9 thousand). But there still seems to be some controversy.

In any case, if you think the 'C' is a stump puller, I'd bet you have a 3.90
gearset
with your 14 inch wheels. In my car, with 3.90 gears and 195/60-15s, 60 MPH is
4250 RPM in third, 3250 RPM in fourth, and 2650 RPM in O/D. YMMV.

Rear brakes in a 'C' were 9 x 2.5 Girling drums whereas the 'B's had
Lockheed 10 x 1.75 drums. The Girlings were self-adjusting.

I'm more curious about the front end. If you have 4-hole 14-inch wheels, what
did they
use for front hubs? Would a 'B' hub swap? 'C' front brakes should be 11.6 inch
Girlings
while the 'B' had 10.75 Lockheeds. So how did the DPO(s) do that? They would
obviously
need the 'C' sub axle to fit on the kingpin (wouldn't they?) so does the 'B'
hub swap?
Curious.

In any case, really wide 14 inch wheels and tires, 3.90 gears, with a 'C' might
make a
fine autocrosser.