Re: B vs. BGT

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: B vs. BGT
From: dfdarby@juno.com (David F. Darby)
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 20:34:05 PST
Hello Bill:

There's a lot to be said for the GT version, especially if you travel a
lot. One can stow a surprising amount of gear in a GT. This makes it
ideal for camping trips and vacation use. We have a twenty-mile round
trip to the grocery on hilly, winding roads and fetching the week's
supply is a lot more interesting in the GT  than in the Van.

Since we also own a pair of MGAs, a roadster and a coupe, it was a bit of
a problem as to how to refer to the GT when it came along. We have never
named our machinery, and the term "coupe" was already taken, so we began
referring to the MGB as "the GT car." "Shall we take the van to the
store?"; "No, let's take the GT car."

The term GT is a bit of a joke since, unless one is an ax murderer, one
would be hard pressed to fit a body into the back seat. It does handle a
small picnic basket though, or serves as stowage for those things you
wish to keep handy on a long trip. I put rear belts in and my little one
and one of his friends fit snugly back there (with the front seats pushed
forward) until they were about four years old. We can occasionally
convince our hound to ride back there, but GT grocery touring seems to
make him a little nervous.

The last important thing about the GT is that, being an all weather car,
you can enjoy it year-round. Yes, it can be warm in the summer, but it's
very comfortable in the winter. We drive ours year-round, but try to keep
it out of heavy snow.

Good luck with your search.

David F. Darby
Kissee Mills, Missouri, USA
1967 MGB-GT (still on page 8 of the current MGB DRIVER)