MGs and Porsches

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: MGs and Porsches
From: "Kai Radicke" <mowogmg@dynanet.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 1996 18:36:13 -0500
Recently I have noticed in a few emails with the mention of Porsches along
with MGs.  This appears to be a growing trend among the younger MG owners.
I for one also have an interest in Porsches.  But in a recent AutoWeek
there also was a small article on this subject:

"I had just finished speaking to the MG club in Portland, Ore., when an
attractive young woman sidled up to me and whispered, 'I've got a terrible
secret to tell you.'

'I've owned MGs for nearly all my driving life, and I race an E-Production
MGB,' she confided.  'But exactly 29 days ago, I bought a Porsche 944.'

'It was cheap, it's faster than any English car I've ever owned, at least 5
times as comfortable, and probaly 10 times as reliable.  Am I going soft?'

Nah, you're just getting realistic.  At current prices ($5,000 to $9,000
for good 1983-89 coupes), the 944 offers more performance per dollar that
nearly any other sports car.  That it is unloved by many collectors works
to your benenfit.  Most 356/911 owners have a blind, unswerving obedience
to their rear-engined Beetles-on-steriods, and they present a resounding
thumbs down to any car from Porsche that attempted to incorporate modern
chassis technology.

So don't worry if the 356/911 crowd turns up its collective rear-pointed
nose when you drive by. The 944 delivers quality, great handling and good
performance-----or more sports car-----for less money than anything
available today."

(Taken from the Dec. 2 1996 AutoWeek.)

I too am thinking about buying a 944, 928, or cheap 911.  I think it would
be a better car to drive to school everyday that my MGB which may not be
finished in 3 years.  I also think some people may like it a little better.

Kai M. Radicke -- mowogmg@dynanet.com
1966 MGB -- http://www.dynanet.com/~mowogmg