RE: Do ALL TD's leak oil?

To: RDWILT@pol.net, mgs@autox.team.net, engle@mailer.martech.fsu.edu
Subject: RE: Do ALL TD's leak oil?
From: "Blair Engle" <engle@mailer.martech.fsu.edu>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 10:48:43 -0500 (EST)
> I've got a 1950/51 (we're not sure-there are two titles) TD.
> The engine was recently rebuilt "professionally" by a well respected
> former Jaguar mechanic.  Everytime I stop, I leave a 3 inch puddle of
> oil. His explanation is that all TD's leak from the rear oil main and
> there is nothing he can do. This rebuild cost me over $4000!! Do I have
> grounds to complain???? HELP!!!!!

Roger....
First let me say, congratulations for getting a T type thread going in this
group.
Second and most importantly I must agree with Mike, Geoff and Jarl that you
do have a great deal to complain about.  Your engine should not leak at all
from the rear crank seal.  I would not complain about a few drops after 50
miles, but any more then that is totally unacceptable. (At our MG club in
Orlando, FL we used to judge the condition of a rear seal as follows. Shot
glass size, OK.  Coffee cup size, not bad. Luncheon plate size, join the club.
Dinner plate size, keep you eye on the dip stick.  Pizza size, time for and
overhaul.)
Now give and East Coast XPAG "Old Timer" a shot at your problem.  As main
bearings wear, the crankshaft is allowed to move up and down in direct
relation to the amount of wear.  New bearings, .001", worn bearings, as much
as .005" or more.  As the crankshaft moves up it wears on the rear oil seal
(aluminum part) this must be replaced.  As the crankshaft moves down it
wears against the rear main bearing cap.  When the engine is rebuilt and new
bearings are installed this wear (clearance) which is now .005" or more,
instead of .0015" remains. This is the location of almost all rear main
bearing leaks on properly assembled XPAG/EG engines.

There two solutions to this problem.
One is the installation of the Moss Crankshaft Conversion Seal.  Some people
have had problems with these, but if installed properly, should solve your
oil leak.
The other solution is the one I have used for over 25 years, and has yet to
give any problem. Have a competant auto machine shop, line-bore the main
bearing caps and the aluminum rear seal.  This will remove most of the
excess clearance around the Archimedes screw.
Infortunately any fix will entail complete disassembly of your engine, and
quite frankly I am not sure your "Jaguar expert" is the man to do the job.
If I can be of further help, feel free to contact me.
Press on regardless,
Blair Engle
The Classic MG Shop
1950 TD