Re: MG clubs

To: John Hed <john_hed@wssagw.chinalake.navy.mil>
Subject: Re: MG clubs
From: Wayne Kube <wkube@iadfw.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 1997 21:27:21 -0600
John Hed wrote:

> What are the different purposes/advantages/benefits of each of the following
> organizations  and what is your recommendations as to which ones to join.
>
>      American MGB Association
>      North American MGB Register
>      MG Owners Club
>      (or others you may know of)
>
> It seems that they duplicate a lot of effort, with all putting out a newletter
> on similar topics etc...
> I have a feeling this info may be interesting to many on the list.

John -

        I belong to the NAMGBR and the MGOC.  Don't belong to AMGBA - no
specific reason why, just never joined.  I like the NAMGBR - they
publish a journal 'MGB Driver'  bi-monthly.  Good info on history, tech
tips, American MG events.  Of course, I'm biased here (see the URLs
below).  The MGOC publish a full-color magazine 'Enjoying MG', monthly.
It also has good MG related articles and tech tips.  If you belong to
the club, you can order parts and regalia direct from England.  Prices
for the most part are lower than buying in the US. For instance, I just
bought the factory original luggage rack (not the AMCO style) that Moss
lists for $192.50.  MGOC price is UKP89.50.  At $1.73 = UKP1.00  that
comes to $154.84.  Now subtract 17.5 percent VAT that you DON'T have to
pay if you live outside the UK and you come up with about $132.00.  Even
with shipping, that's less than you pay here before shipping.  That same
calculation will get you a fully rebuilt, warranted complete engine for
around $900.00 before shipping.  Their catalog is well printed, full
color, and has a lot of items you don't see in the US catalogs.  I enjoy
belonging to both - of course, just my opinion.
--
Wayne Kube      wkube@iadfw.net
1979 MGB        http://web2.airmail.net/wkube