Re: Subject: Re: Headlight Legality

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Subject: Re: Headlight Legality
From: "Michael P. Ohleger" <mikeoh@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 1997 13:07:55 -0500
Paul Hunt wrote:

> Another bit of British legal nonsense.
>
> It is legal to drive in poor daytime visibility with no lights at
> all.  It is illegal to drive in the same conditions with just side
> lights.  But it is legal to drive at night just on side lights.
>
> However it is noticeable that on motorways at least, the vast
> majority of drivers use headlights at the slightest sign of poor
> visibility.
>
> Unfortunately far too many people insist on using high-intensity rear
> lights at night as a matter of course, even though it is
> supposedly illegal to use them unless visibiliy is less than 100
> meters.  They are absolutely lethal when used in traffic when it is
> raining.
>
> PaulH
> 73 Roadster (HD&H)
> 75 V8 (DD)

I think the law varies from state to state in the US.  Whenever it rains or is
overcast
I turn mine on.  I'd rather be seen than see anyway.   I was in Calgary,
Aalberta in
1993 and was pulled over, as the sun set, by the RCMP for not having lights on.
pleaded ignorance, he warned me and I kept them on.

And on that note, earlier Ray gibbons talked about low beam cutoff...Driving
around
these days, is it my imagination or is it set higher on 4WD vehicles than
others?  I
find myself adjusting my mirror not only in my lbc's but also in my M*zd* and
V*lv* as
well.

Any comments?

Michael Ohleger