Re: Subject: Re: Headlight Legality

To: "Michael P. Ohleger" <mikeoh@bellatlantic.net>
Subject: Re: Subject: Re: Headlight Legality
From: ckr <ragthyme@fls.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 1997 12:21:03 -0500
Michael P. Ohleger wrote:
<SNIP>

> And on that note, earlier Ray gibbons talked about low beam cutoff...Driving
>around
> these days, is it my imagination or is it set higher on 4WD vehicles than
>others?  I
> find myself adjusting my mirror not only in my lbc's but also in my M*zd* and
>V*lv* as
> well.
>
> Any comments?
>
> Michael Ohleger
>
> '67 MGB
> "70 MGB

Michael:

This may be a problem more endemic to us in Virginia (or perhaps the
South) where 4WD 'monster' trucks and SUV's are allowed on the roads.
Somewhere or another, I thought there was a federally-mandated bumper
height of 20" or so; I doubt very seriously that a modified 4WD truck
here in Fredericksburg could meet that requirement. In fact, having sat
behind a few at traffic signals, I'm certain they're higher than the
entire bonnet on my B. This, unfortunately, puts their headlamps just
about at mirror height for me (and probably for you, too). I shudder to
think what would happen if one rear-ended me. Pictures of those monster
truck rallies in Richmond where huge Toyotas roll over cars for the
pleasure of the crowd come uncomfortably to mind.  All in all, I think
even factory 4WD vehicles come with proper bumper heights, but higher
headlamps.  I've never done a proper survey of this, however, so it
could just be my imagination, too.

Corey
75 MGB 'Rags'