Re: Subject: Re: Headlight Legality

To: Paul Hunt <on76@dial.pipex.com>
Subject: Re: Subject: Re: Headlight Legality
From: Ross Overcash <jroverca@tiac.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 1997 07:53:28 -0500 (EST)
Paul,

That was quite interesting.  The laws vary from statet to state here on when
you must turn on your head lights.  Oh by the way I don't know of any state
that allows you to actually drive with the just the parking lights, although
it is one of those things you don't usually receive a ticket for unless you
cause an accident etc.

The rear High intensity (Fog?) light is another story.  We don't use them
here, I don't even know if they are legal!  Anybody?  I certainly recall
them from my time stationed in Germany.  Used properly they are great and
really increase safety in poor visibility.

At 02:31 PM 1/4/97 GMT, you wrote:
>Another bit of British legal nonsense.
>
>It is legal to drive in poor daytime visibility with no lights at
>all.  It is illegal to drive in the same conditions with just side
>lights.  But it is legal to drive at night just on side lights.
>
>However it is noticeable that on motorways at least, the vast
>majority of drivers use headlights at the slightest sign of poor
>visibility.
>
>Unfortunately far too many people insist on using high-intensity rear
>lights at night as a matter of course, even though it is
>supposedly illegal to use them unless visibiliy is less than 100
>meters.  They are absolutely lethal when used in traffic when it is
>raining.
>

>PaulH
>73 Roadster (HD&H)
>75 V8 (DD)

Ross Overcash, 74B, NAMGBR 2-1172, Ayer, MA.