Re: Making my car level.

To: mgs@autox.team.net (mgs)
Subject: Re: Making my car level.
From: todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil (Todd Mullins)
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1997 09:28:22 -0600 (CST)
Jim Boyd writes:

> James wrote:
> >
> > I've noticed that my 77B droops a little bit on the drivers side.  Not
> > much, it's only about 3/4 inch lower than the passenger side, but it's damn
> > annoying and just glares out at me every time I look at it now.  My
> > question is...what steps do I take in order to correct this problem.  I've
> > never gotten into any suspension work before so any help would be
> > appreciated.

Not too many actual answers to this problem, just a lot of silly
windbagging.

Anyway, my experience is that replacing the rear springs isn't the cure
for this.  I have brand new GT springs in the rear of my Tourer, and it
still leans just a bit.  In a previous discussion on this topic (perhaps
a year ago), somebody (WRG?) declared that the real fix was replacing
all four springs with new.  I don't know; I haven't gotten that far
yet.

> Sounds to me that you have a broken and/or sagging rear leaf spring that
> is in dire need of replacement!  Do yourself a favour and replace both
> sides of the rear spring bushings (4 total) with either the V8 or the
> urethane bushing as offered by Moss Motors while you are there.  You
> will be impressed by the major improvement in handling!

I believe you're thinking of the V8 FRONT A-arm bushing.  To my
knowledge, the GTV8 used the same rear spring bushings as the 4cyl cars.
There are urethane replacements, however.

p.s.  Anybody got a 3/4" front roll bar for cheap?

--

Todd "Clearing up the waters" Mullins
Todd.Mullins@nrlssc.navy.mil    On the lovely Mississippi (USA) Coast

'74 MGB Tourer with V8 bushings in front and GT springs in rear

"I could go at any time..."