RE: TD grease fitting on brake/clutch shaft

To: stevet@hbp.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TD grease fitting on brake/clutch shaft
From: "Blair Engle" <engle@mailer.martech.fsu.edu>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 1997 09:54:10 -0500 (EST)
> Having traversed another 500 miles it was time to grease the TD. I took
> care of all the fittings from the suspension to prop shaft to water pump
> etc.

Don't grease the water pump often or much.  Excess grease will come out on
the pulley and sling all over the inside of you hood.

 But I found I do not have the fitting on my pedal shaft assembly.
> It looks to have been removed and soldered over.

The grease fitting my have broken off in the shaft.

> Will or should this prove troublesome? Should I have another one
> installed or leave well enough alone.The car was 'restored'almost 2
> years ago and I have put over 3000 fun-filled miles on her.

It will take quite some time, but your pedal assembly will wear rapidly and
will become loose.  The other possibility is that the lack of grease will
permit the shaft to rust, and the assembly will become stiff and bind up.

> I certainly don't want to dismember my beloved TD to add a grease
> fitting.

Check closely and see if part of the old fitting is still in the shaft.
Remove it with an "easy out" and install an new fitting.  Also clean out the
hole to remove old hard grease.

> Your valued thoughts are appreciated.
>
> Steve
> 52 TD