Re: MG comraderie

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: MG comraderie
From: "Michael P. Ohleger" <mikeoh@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 1997 22:23:15 -0500
W. R. Gibbons wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Jan 1997, Syl's Sydney Homestay wrote:
>
> > A special wave was developed by some individual marques acknowledging each
> > other's presence when passing. MG in particular - one finger off the wheel
> > - ever so slightly.
> >
> > This undoubtdly helped bind the drivers of marque models together.
> >
> > Maybe this didn't happen so much in America? Could that be part of it?
> >
> > Paul
>
> Here in rural Vermont, USA, drivers on country roads often wave in that
> restrained way.  When I lived in Chicago, Illinois, drivers also gave
> each other a one-fingered wave, but that was different, more vigorous,
> and I suspect the intention was different.
>
> WRG
>
>    Ray Gibbons  Dept. of Molecular Physiology & Biophysics
>                 Univ. of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, VT
>                 gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910

Ah! "the Wave"  Years ago, *all* sportscar enthusiasts waved, but there was a
definite
protocal.  I can recall that it was so controversial that protocals were
covered in an
article in Road & Track.  Something about a "Ferrari expects to be waved at
first before
returning the wave" or some such malarkey. Today, you do that, you might be
shot at. I
have a neighbor who owns a TR4A, we wave, neither of us has met.  We just love
our
lbc's.

Michael Ohleger