Re: No clutch no more.

To: Nick Pitt <nick.pitt@bbc.co.uk>
Subject: Re: No clutch no more.
From: Jarl/Carol <deboer@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 09:03:14 -0800
Nick Pitt wrote:

>      I would say apply the same rules here as I suggested a while back for
> brake hydraulics. If the cylinder is leaking then replace it. Repair kits
> are really only suitable for maintaining cylinders at the recomended service
> intervals. I have used them for repairs in the past to leaking cylinders and
> never achieved a lasting repair.

I have to disagree. The key is to be able to distinguish between a
"rebuildable" and one that isn't. If it is OK the service life is as
good as a new one if the repair technique is correct. Clutch slave
cylinders and master cylinders wear a LOT more than brake ones due to
the greater frequency of use and the full length stroke on every
application so they need replacement more frequently - especially the
aluminum slave since it runs in a "dirty" environment.
Cast iron cylinders that are resleeved with brass are actually "better
than new" since they barely wear and don't corrode. They can then be
rebuilt practically indefinitely. They make sleeving a better deal than
replacing with new ones.    Jarl