Re: Painting Wire Wheels

To: Thomas J Pokrefke <thomas_pokrefke@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Painting Wire Wheels
From: Bill Schooler <schooler@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 1997 17:19:11 -0800
Thomas J Pokrefke wrote:

> The time has come to paint the wire wheels on my 1970 MGB (again).
> Currently, I am forced with painting the wheels every 6 months.  The
> problem lies in the road grime/brake dust taking the shine off the paint.
>
> I am considering painting the wire wheels black.  From a functional
> standpoint, the dark color should hide the dirt and dust.  I am unsure
> how black wheels on a red car would look.  I say a red AH 3000 with black
> wheels, and it looked pretty nice.  I would appreciate any comments from
> the list on how aesthetically pleasing the black wires would look.
>
> FWIW - I have tried every type of chrome paint out there - the stuff Moss
> sells, Krylon, and my personal favorite:  "The Nearest Thing to Chrome
> (from a can)".  Nothing lasts.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions/advice.
>
> Thomas James Pokrefke, III
> 1970 MGB
> thomas_pokrefke@juno.com
> http://ocean.st.usm.edu/~pokrefke

Arrrghhhhhhh....!  Oh, Thomas.  First, a Weber and now the wire wheels to be
painted
black.  What are we going to do with you? :>)

I actually prefer the painted wires in the original silver to the chrome.
Somehow
chrome wires on an MGB look a bit out of place - something like a bit too much
makeup.....but to each his/her own.  BTW, with the wires painted the original
colour,
you don't have the problem of dust reducing the shine.  They just get dirty.
And if
you grease the splines with the silver lubricant, you don't notice it nearly as
much
when it creeps up the spokes!

Bill
69 BGT