Re: Painting Wire Wheels

To: miker15@juno.com, thomas_pokrefke@juno.com
Subject: Re: Painting Wire Wheels
From: RJohn50603@aol.com
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 1997 12:10:35 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 97-01-18 21:58:22 EST, miker15@juno.com (MICHAEL J ROBSON)
writes:

<< I have the same problem - Is it possible (or desirable) to have wires
 sand blasted and chrome plated?
 Would blasting weaken them?  >>

Mike,

If you were to chrome them, you wouldn't blast them because the surface would
be too rough and show through the chrome (the roughness is great for painting
though). The wheels would be dipped and chemically stripped. Then the wheel
would have to be completely disassembled for a three step plating (you can't
chrome an assembled wheel or the spokes, nipples and wheel would be fused
together). Then the wheel would have to be reassembled and tuned true.

I don't think you could do a used wheel for the $100 difference between a
painted and chrome wheel and why would you want to? Those wheels would still
have whatever wear was on the splines and any bent places still on the rim.

Save you money for a new set of chrome wheels or consider powder coating.

R. Johnson - Dallas

'90 Maine Coon
'79 Midget
'76 Midget