Painting Wire Wheels

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Painting Wire Wheels
From: thomas_pokrefke@juno.com (Thomas J Pokrefke)
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 1997 12:26:51 EST
The time has come to paint the wire wheels on my 1970 MGB (again).
Currently, I am forced with painting the wheels every 6 months.  The
problem lies in the road grime/brake dust taking the shine off the paint.

I am considering painting the wire wheels black.  From a functional
standpoint, the dark color should hide the dirt and dust.  I am unsure
how black wheels on a red car would look.  I say a red AH 3000 with black
wheels, and it looked pretty nice.  I would appreciate any comments from
the list on how aesthetically pleasing the black wires would look.

FWIW - I have tried every type of chrome paint out there - the stuff Moss
sells, Krylon, and my personal favorite:  "The Nearest Thing to Chrome
(from a can)".  Nothing lasts.

Thanks for any suggestions/advice.

Thomas James Pokrefke, III
1970 MGB