Mgs and Harleys?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Mgs and Harleys?
From: Ric Johnson <johnsonr@dwx1.dwx.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 23:42:34 -0600 (CST)
Mike Lambdin writes:

>>Reminiscent of the days when I owned a Harley. Could there possibly
>>be similarities between an H-D and an MG?

Perhaps not so much in the vehicles as in a certain mental condition of the
owners.  As someone who has always ridden Japanese bikes I always wondered
why someone would buy a Harley when they could own something less expensive
and more reliable that would outperform the Harley in any measurable
parameter.  Then one day I realized that I was succumbing to the same
mindset held by my car driving friends who still can't understand why I own
and drive MGs!  Since then I've always felt a much greater kinship with the
Harley folks, even if I still have no desire to own one.  There are
certainly a lot of parallels in the "mechanical personality" of the H-Ds and
our LBCs, if not in their actual construction.  There's something
undefinable within each machine that calls out to a certain sort of person,
and I think we both often can only answer the inquiries of those who can't
hear that inner siren song by replying "If you have to ask, you wouldn't
understand".

Ric Johnson
Owned by 3 MGBs ('71, '75 and '74 GT)
Des Moines, Iowa