Re: Heaters for T-Series MGs

To: Ed & Kris Curtis <curtis@hayburn.com>
Subject: Re: Heaters for T-Series MGs
From: Geoff Love <engconn@infi.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 1997 11:50:27 -0500
Ed & Kris Curtis wrote:

> I have followed with interest the tread on electric heaters for MGs.  I
> have recently aquired a heater that was made in the USA for installation
> in T-series cars.  It was made by Arnold and was available concurrently
> with the TD and TF.
>
> I have very little information about these heaters and would like to
> learn more about them.  What little I have been able to find out is that
> they were built by a man in Chicago who owned an appliance manufacturing
> firm who liked MGs so much that he had to get a dealership.  He offered
> these heaters as a dealer option.
>
> Questions:  How were they mounted inside the car?  The one I have came
> with an adapter to take fluid off the back plate of the engine.  Is this
> useful?  How good were the heaters at warminf the car?
>
> Thanks
>
> Ed Curtis
> TF1500

Ed:  They are mounted with attachment brackets from the rear of the
toolbox beneath the scuttle and over the gearbox.  For best fluid flow
in a TF, where the radiator is a pressurised one, the proper connections
should be made either side of the thermostat housing on the cylinder
head.  This will give you an extremely hot flow of water through the
unit, and will warm the cockpit fairly well.

Geoff Love, The English Connection