RE: New Camshaft

To: mgs <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: New Camshaft
From: "REICHLE, CHRISTOPHER" <CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 1997 11:33:00 -0800 (PST)
Crane only makes two grinds for MGB, stock and mild. I installed the mild.
It degreed in at 9 deg off original which after playing with offset keys for
a while, forced me to buy the kent adjustable cam gear. Now that it's in and
degreed properly I'm happy but I would go with a kent next time. Vicky brit
sells kent cams but when I asked for more information on the overlap and
method for deriving timing ( at 50 thousandths?) they said they had no
further info. So I said fine, give me Kent's number and I will call and get
the info from them. Vicky brit said that their agreement with kent
prohibited them from giving out their number. I imagined needing tech
support for installation and not being able to call this English company or
having to pay a huge phone bill. So I went with Crane, respected for their
v8 cams. Upon receiving the Seven Enterprises catalog, (where I purchased
the offset keys and later adjustable cam gear) I discovered that kent makes
more than a dozen different grinds for the B and have local tech support. I
would think that they could match your needs better than crane and they seem
to have done a bit more R & D to produce such an assortment of cams. Don't
forget to get a degree wheel and dial indicator for the degreeing process. I
highly recommend installing the adjustable cam as opposed to playing with
offset keys and converting to a double row timing chain on late model
engines with a stock single row chain. And don't forget to get matching
springs or better yet, purchase a kent cam kit.

Christopher Reichle
Sometimes an extra cup of java in the morning can make me spew unsolicited
advice...