Re: Electric heaters

To: kgstuart@juno.com (RANDELL S KEGG)
Subject: Re: Electric heaters
From: Leckstein <bleckstein@monmouth.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 1997 12:10:24 -0500
At 10:06 PM 2/1/97 PST, you wrote:
>Say..........
>Are you using a cell phone, plugged into a cigarette lighter, on a
>positive ground car?
>I thought that this would work, but didn't have the guts to risk the
>phone to find out.
>Did you have to do anything special?
>
>Randy Kegg
>1958 MGA
>1966 Morris Traveller
>1964 Porsche 356C

Randell,  On the TF I ran a wire from the ignition switch through a line
fuse to a lighter socket (Radio shack). I reversed the wires to the socket,
running this hot line to the ground side of the socket. The hot side of the
socket is connected to an alligator clip. The whole assembly is tucked away
in the glove box. When I am running, I connect the alligator clip to the
trip odometer cable under the glove box, plug in the cell phone adapter,
and it works great. On NEMGTR trips, I plug in a hand held CB in the same
socket, with excellent results.

Mike