Re: Wire-wheel spline wear

To: Thomas J Pokrefke <thomas_pokrefke@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Wire-wheel spline wear
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 14:49:29 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 4 Feb 1997, Thomas J Pokrefke wrote:

> What causes the splines on wire wheel hubs to wear?  I would tend to
> think that the fit is tight enough to prevent movement radially or
> side-to-side.  Any ideas?
>
> Thomas James Pokrefke, III
> 1970 MGB
> thomas_pokrefke@juno.com
> http://ocean.st.usm.edu/~pokrefke

The contact is between two inclined surfaces that will try to slide
relative to each other when torque is applied.  My guess, and it is only a
guess, is that the wheel hub expands a microscopic amount, allowing
sliding and wear to occur.  If I'm right, then a lubricating grease might
be better than antiseize.

Of course, it might be something else altogether.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910