Re: Wire-wheel spline wear

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Wire-wheel spline wear
From: Paul Murch <murch@atlas.chem.utah.edu>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1997 17:40:08 -0700
Ladies and Gentlemen

I am sure that the question has been asked before but.....

What is the best way to check for wear on my splines?  I have seen
references in manuals talking about thumps upon acceleration and
stopping but I have seen similar references when discussing thrust
washers on rear ends and shock links etc.... Is there any sure way?

Paul Murch
66 B (loose wire wheels?)

Thomas, I'm not sure of the full answer to your question, but the
following might have something to do with it.  I have a couple of sets
of
wheels.  One set is Dunlop, they are 14" painted spoke wheels.  I also
have a set of 15" Dayton chrome (SS) wire wheels.  My hubs are in good
shape (the rears have less than 1000 miles on them), the fronts have
more
miles but are in good shape.  One of the Dunlops is brand new, all of
the
Daytons are new.  I "tested" the play on all the hubs with the new
Dunlop
vs the new Dayton.  Guess what?  The Dayton is a much better fit.  In
fact there is no measurable play.  The Dunlop on the other hand has
about
1/8th inch of play measured at the circumference of the tire.  Larry's
theorem of spline wear:  Where there is movement there is wear.

I think where we get into trouble is when we buy a new wheel and put
it
on an old hub or the other way around. If either of the components is
worn it will accelerate the wear of the other.  In the case of my new
Dunlop  and new hub they had slop to begin with.

One other thing, in my opinion I don't think you can get your
knockoffs
too tight (see Larry's theorem).  This has been a bit controversial,
I'm
sure someone else will put in their 2 cents worth on this one.

Cheers,
.
Larry Hoy
1969 MGB Roadster