Re: Wire-wheel spline wear

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, murch@atlas.chem.utah.edu
Subject: Re: Wire-wheel spline wear
From: joseph_cianciotti@ccmail_gw.gmosf.com
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 97 10:19:42 PST
The answer to your question, from one of John Twist's old emails:

        WHEEL SPLINES:  When the splines are new, they're sharp; when
they're worn, they're rounded; when they're REALLY shot, they're sharp
again.  Measure the spline diameter to find 2.450" NEW, and 2.400 ABSOLUTE
minimum for safety.  Have an associate stand on the brake pedal and attempt
to rotate all four tires BEFORE you tighten the spinners.  There should be
NO freeplay.  Both the hubs and the wheel splines wear; check the wheel
splines by sliding your finger, from the outside, in along the splines.
You will feel a reduced diameter at the inside lip.  Make a value judgement
based on the five wheels you check.

My 2›:  The points of the splines start out as symetrical triangles. When they
are worn they appear to lean to one side.

BTW:  When I replaced my hubs and wheels, they were the original 30-year-old
Dunlops. Amortized it's a pretty small investment in your safety.

Joseph
67 roadster