Re: TD Handbrake (& MGA)

To: Ed McCarroll <EMCCARROLL@magnum.mco.edu>
Subject: Re: TD Handbrake (& MGA)
From: Jarl/Carol <deboer@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 1997 13:32:10 -0800
Ed McCarroll wrote:

>         I'm glad the question was asked re. greasing handbrake cables.
>         My MGA has what looks like an armored wound outer sheathing
>         for the cable.   The outer sheathing has a grease nipple (Zerk
>         fitting).   Problem is that when I put a grease gun to lube
>         it the grease travels only a short distance along the inside
>         of the sheathing before comming out at the winding joints.
>         I am using lithium grease.   Should I be using something else
>         or is there some technique I should be using for better results?

Your problem is old age of the cable, the wrapper has stretched and no
longer seals. It will allow more water in and need lubing more often. If
it's otherwise OK and you don't mind the "look" I've solved this in the
shop by degreasing the outside carefully and then wrapping the jacket
with electrical tape. It both keeps the water out, and allows you to
grease it all the way if you pump s l o w l y.   Jarl