Re: MGB brake failure

To: MG List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, Adam Harmon <cyberman@mail.bright.net>
Subject: Re: MGB brake failure
From: Adam Harmon <cyberman@mail.bright.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 1997 09:03:39 -0500 (EST)
Adam Harmon wrote:

>         i was wondering if anyone else had experienced brake failure for
> storing an mgb for extended period of time.  Im not having any visible fluid
> leak, but i am loosing brake fluid.  I belive the master cylinder is at
> fault, but am not sure.  if i am losing fluid from the master cylinder,
> would it be draining into the booster chamber?  if so, would i also need, on
> top of a master cylinder rebuild kit, a Non-Return Valve? (sits just inside
> the booster chamber)
> Feels free to e-mail me at cyberman@bright.net

This sounds verrry familiar.  Last Spring, I went to start the '67 B and
even though I
had plenty of cranking amps, no start.  I felt a tune up was in order, and
after
completing that pleasant job, she cranked right up.  I hopped into the
cockpit, top
down, and bolted out of the garage and down the drive.  As I approached the
end of the
drive I applied the brakes and guess what?  Correcto-mundo! Brake pedal to
the metal!
I'm glad the handbrake worked because there's a cliff on the opposite side
of the road
from my driveway.  After gingerly taking her back up the drive and into the
garage, I
spent about two hours analysing the problem.  I traced it to a faulty left
rear brake
cylinder, where the fluid had leaked out, ruined the shoe and
semi-evaporated on the
garage floor.  I've kept a close eye on her this past winter and haven't had a
recurrance.  The Master was fine in the last episode.  I hope it's still
that way this
spring.  By the way,  Rear brake jobs are not at the top of my list of repairs.

Michael Ohleger
'67 MGB
'70 MGB

        Thanks for your input Mike.  I knew it wasnt going to be the brake
cylinders, as i was not seeing any leaks anywhere.  I was just baffled as to
how i could have lost brake pressure over the winter without sseing any
leaks- also, i had bled all the brake lines in an attempt to solve my
problem, but that didnt help.  I am pleased to announce that i have locate
the problem in the master cylinder.  i guess they must be rebuilt , oh,
every 20 years or so!  Brake fluid was leaking into the Booster Chamber
(Also called a Servo Unit), Adam. ('76 B owner)