Re: MG Magnettes and others

To: gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu
Subject: Re: MG Magnettes and others
From: miker15@juno.com (MICHAEL J ROBSON)
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 1997 18:37:18 EST
Got a real chuckle from the name game - having grown up British, it never
occurred to me that the car names were indicative of our heritage - on
reflection, they obviously were!

For fun i dug out my "Daily Express review of the motor show-1955" which
is a supplement to a newspaper and therefore something i cannot read too
often! (its a tad fragile) I have grouped them in categories befitting
their nature.
(all this proves that an insanity defence will likely work when i enter a
post office with an uzi....)

"fun and games sorta names"
========================
A.C.Ace

"Wimmin, birds 'n totty in general the designer might've fancied
Alpha Romeo Julietta
Borgward Isabella
Porsch Portia 356 (i avoided a "shakespearean heroines" category)

"real birds, animals and in the case of the first one sexual deviants"
Swallow Doretti
Frazer-Nash Sebring
Hillman Husky (the dog, not a polite name for a fat kid!)
Humber Hawk
the one, the only, Humber Super Snipe!

"numbers and other unispired monicas"
================================
Allard 2 1/4 saloon
Alvis T.C. 21/100 coupe
Aston Martin DB2-4
   "           "       DB3-S  - if you havnt seen this, look it up!!!
Austin A30 seven
Austin Healy 100 (withdraw the uninspired comment!)
BMW Type 502 saloon
Bristol 404
Bristol 405
Buick Century (well, a century's a hundred innit?)
Cadillac series 60
Citroen Big 15
       "      2CV (as in "ceevee" NOT "sher ver" in 1955)
Fiat 1900A
Jaguar MK vii M
     "       XK140
Jensen model 541
Mercedes Benz 220
        "             "      300SL
Oldmobile Super 88 - Bet they sold about 3 in 1955 England - if that!)
Rover 75
Standard Eight
Sunbeam MK 111(Talbot) - one of the most beautiful sedans of all time!)
Triumph TR2

"precious metals an stones/tongue twisters"
===================================
Armstrong Siddely Sapphire - say that with mouth full of chps!

"places"
=======
Austin Cambridge
Austin A90 six westminister
Bentley Continental
Ford Anglia
Hudson Italia
Lagonda Tickford 3litre (i'm guessing that tickford is a place!)
Lancia Appia (perhaps we need an ancient Rome category!)
Morris Cowley
Morris Oxford
Nash Metropolitan (well, its a description of a place!)
Sunbeam Alpine
Vauxhall Cresta

"royalty"
======
Austin A135 Princess
Daimler Regency
Ford Consul (I know I know - its a republican thing but we REALLY dont
need an                         "ancient rome"category!)
Rolls Royce silver wraith (if it wasnt a roller it'd be a bird but ALL
rollers are royal!)

"bloody foreigner names"
====================
Auto Union DRW Sonderklasse (surprised Audi survived after THAT name in

1955/UK)
"
Chevrolet Bel Air (i know its a place but folk in 1955 England wouldn't
have!)
Dyna Panhard (another bloody french one - the car is exactly the same
front and back                             proving the french dont know
if theyre coming or going!)
Lancia Gran Tourismo
Renault Fregate (might also be a bird or a sailing ship)
Simca Aronde

"Twee little names"
===============
Ford popular
Ford Prefect (a vicious nazi-bastard in English public schools)
Hillman Minx MK viii

"occupations"
===========
Riley Pathfinder
Singer Hunter
Standard Diesel Vanguard

"just too ordinary to have a category"
============================
Morgan Sports (I meant the NAME is ordinary)
Morris Minor (name AND car!)
     "                  Traveller
Standard Diesel Estate Car
Vedette Saloon (a french Ford no less...)

M.G.s'
=====
Magnette
M.G.T.F.
Singer Roadster (I put it here since there is little doubt where singer
nicked it from!!!)

interesting eh? -  well if you got this far you DID read it!!

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT
72 roadster