Re: MG Magnetts, etc

To: jack@lucent.com
Subject: Re: MG Magnetts, etc
From: miker15@juno.com (MICHAEL J ROBSON)
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 20:11:20 EST
On Mon, 10 Feb 1997 09:02:46 -0600 jack@lucent.com (Jack Feldman) writes:
>Great thread. Dont forget the Renault Dauphine for royalty. Studebaker
>had a Hawk, which was a 2 door "sporty" car. And of course for cars
>with
>nubmers, don't forget the Jaguars.
>
>>When American used place names for cars, they picked place names with
>>grit, so to speak. The Pontiac LeMans! Compare that to the Austin
>>Cambridge or Somerset.
>
>Not accurate. The first car I owned was an Austin Somerset, bought
>while
>taking an enforced vacation in France (Our uncle gave me
>transportation,
>funny looking clothes, 3 dubious meals a day, and $98. a month). My
>wife
>now drives an 86 Buick Somerset, not very gritty!
>
>Lastly, Remember the Wolsey! I don't know which company made it, but
>it was a saloon. Only the Brits would name a car after an obsure
>15th century Cardinal. (I wait to be corrected)!
>
>Jack

I have a fondness for Wolesleys (which was a marque all its own until it
got the "mega-corp" treatment and became the British Oldsmobile!( this IS
your Grandfathers Wolesley!)
They mostly went for numbers (the 4/44 was the same body shell as the
Magnette)
there was a bigger 16/60 verion at the same time.
There was a Wolesley version of the mini called the Hornet which together
with the Riley Elf (really!) aimed at the oldies end of the mini market.
They had small rear fins and traditional radiator grilles,leather
interiors and were usually two-tone;otherwise they were like any other
mini.
Hornet and Elf - those wouldve made the "twee little names" category!

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT
72 roadster