Re: Upholstery and new supplier

To: dhw@atomic.net
Subject: Re: Upholstery and new supplier
From: miker15@juno.com (MICHAEL J ROBSON)
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 23:35:50 EST
On Tue, 11 Feb 1997 21:12:48 -0500 Don Walton <dhw@atomic.net> writes:
>I just recieved the seat foam set for my 73B and I was pleased with
>the
>service and prices from " The Proper MG"  .  So now I offically put
>them on my recommend list.

No Argument here!!

 Now the question of the day...
>Would those who have re-covered their seats themselves do it again or
>would you have it done professionaly?  I know that an upholstery shop
won't
>have the "correct" covers for the seats, but how is the quality of the
>cover sets from the parts houses? Inquiring minds want to know.
Especially
>before spending the $200+ dollars these things cost.  Also, how hard is
it to
>put the cover sets on?  The books sometime make these tasks look much
>easier than they really are. Any input on this will be muchly
appreciated as
>it is now time to do my seats.
>

>                                                Thanks,  Don Walton
>                                                73 MGB
>                                                74 MGB

I have done it both ways (as the actress said......)
Firstly, as to seat quality, I have purchased sets from both VB and Moss
- there was not a lot of difference in quality (both were excellent) but
last time VB were cheaper.
The very best quality is in the MGOC catalogue, they are spectacular and
(IMHO) worth both the hassle of getting them from the UK and the extra
cost!

Fitting - It is not a difficult job procedurally -  the best description
is in Porters DIY book and if you follow that you wont go wrong, however,
when putting the new covers on it is imperative to used new foams (why do
it otherwise!) and THERE is the possible problem. - its a "two pounds of
s*** in a one pound bag" scenario! The covers CANNOT be pulled simply
over the foams they must be turned inside out and "worked" on unrolling a
few inches at a time - this is a little scary because the "rolling"
causes the vinyl to turn white in places almost as if it is damaged -
dont worry, it polishes out. Another caveat is that the first couple of
inches are critical since it is very hard to straighten crooked seams
mid-way (try try again!)
Las time i ran afoul of time problems....didnt have enough! so i had a
local uphoulsterer put them together for me. I had already bought the
covers and foama and refurbished the frames. He did it in a day INCLUDING
making new canvas supports (instead of the rubber webbing) - he charged
$250 which was not cheap but the result was magnificentand makes me leery
of doing it myself in future even though its a satisfying job. Good luck
with it

mike robson
69 roadster (original leather!)
70 BGT (next for seats!)