Re: Urban Legend

To: gardner@lwcomm.com
Subject: Re: Urban Legend
From: dfdarby@juno.com (David F. Darby)
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 22:03:45 PST
On Thu, 13 Feb 1997 17:08:37 +0000 "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
writes:
>>     Being a bit more serious, one of our club members lives in the
>>     Miami area.  He knows a guy with a BEAUTIFUL vette.  This car
>>     lives in a special built garage, on jackstands to avoid
>>     compressing suspension, with an alarm on the building, all sorts
>>     of special locks on the car, etc.
>>
>>     He came home one day to find the car in the garage, the opposite
>>     direction, with everything in place, stands, security and all.
snip

>I think this officially qualifies as an "urban legend".  I heard the
>same story, set in Miami also, except that it was a Mercedes chained
>between two palm trees.  Owner comes home, finds the car turned the
>other way, rechained, with a note that says "When we want it, we'll
>get it."
>   Any other good car-related myths out there?  Feel free to modify
>the stories to include LBC content, since they're not true anyway..
>Scott Gardner
>gardner@lwcomm.com

Hello Scott:

You're right about this one, as I had heard it some years back and I
believe it was a Mercedes, too, although it was carefully locked away in
a special garage and so on. If someone is going to do a "Mission
Impossible" heist on a locked up car, why would they return it at all?

Here is one that I heard while I was in high school in 1962 or so:

It seems that a friend of a friend's cousin knew of a brand new Corvette
that had run off the road into a cornfield or something, killing the
driver, but leaving the vehicle unscathed. The car and driver were
allegedly not discovered for quite some time during which the
decomposing driver's body imparted a monstrous stench to the vehicle.

So bad was this odor, that the driver's estate (or whomever) had been unable to
sell the car at any cost. The price was around $300.00 as I
recall. Now being a green fourteen-year-old I probably believed this
tale although I don't recall passing it on.

The years rolled away and imagine my astonishment when my fourteen-year-old son
came in from school one afternoon and recounted to me, in the most
serious demeanor, his newly-discovered secret that he learned that day at
school. Seems that someone had knowledge of a new Corvette that had run
off into a canebrake or something leaving the driver dead but the car
unscratched... You get the picture.

I think as a culture we must need these stories of choking Dobermans and
kidnapped babies at K-Mart who get their hair dyed. Why else do they
keep re-surfacing?

David F. Darby
Hilda, MIssouri USA