Re: Brake bias/proportion?

To: howersl@ttown.apci.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Brake bias/proportion?
From: RJohn50603@aol.com
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 21:13:09 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 97-02-17 14:09:57 EST, howersl@ttown.apci.com (S. L.
Hower) writes:

    73 MGB, dual circuit brake system, rebuilt calipers, rebuilt master
    cylinder (both rebuilt by me), new wheel cylinders, new brake lines,
    hoses, pads and shoes.  All components were replaced or rebuilt.
    I am using DOT5 brake fluid (silicone).

   Here are the symptoms:

    After driving for about 10 mins, both calipers begin to drag, the
    pressure differential warning light turns on (and remains on) and
    eventually the front brakes grab- you can smell the pads heating up.

    If I let the car sit for about 15 mins, the P-D-W goes out and the
    process repeats again.

Scott, here are my thoughts:

1. You did say you replaced the hoses didn't you? A defective hose can
sometimes act as a check valve.

2. A flake of something in the fluid... again, acting as a check valve.

3. The return spring (or something else) in the pedal box not returning ths
master cylinder back to the proper position to allow bleed back.

4. The master cylinder itself.

R. Johnson - Dallas

'90 Maine Coon
'79 Midget