Re: Fuel Pump

To: Tom Wagner - Program Manager <tom.w.wagner@Central.Sun.COM>
Subject: Re: Fuel Pump
From: Geoff Love <engconn@infi.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 18:58:35 -0500
Tom Wagner - Program Manager wrote:

> To List:
>
> Is it normal for Lucas Fuel Pumps
> to stop for no apparent reason,
> then to tap on them to get them
> going again.
>
> These pumps are starting to make me feel
> like they are very unreliable.
>
> I have seen threads about other ideas
> for fuel pumps along with appropriate
> pressure amounts.  Can someone recomend
> the correct amounts??
>
> History:
>
> 67 B, fuel tank recently cleaned, eteched
> and sludged or sealed.
>
> Thanks for all help.
>
> Tom Wagner
> 67 MGB

Yes.  Welcome to the wonderful world of LUCAS. Reminds me of a time I
owned a Tiger Moth. It had a magneto for ignition with a form of
"impulse" built in for extra oomph when pulling the airscrew over by
hand for starting.(No electric starter)  It was forever getting stuck,
and it is a very hot and tiring job to start an aero engine by hand.  I
carried a large wooden mallet in the plane for just such times.  One
day, it stuck as usual, and I asked my passenger to adjust the throttle
while I swung the prop. When it didn't start, I lifted the cowling, and
clouted the magneto with the mallet.  A bloke sitting in a TD watched
the performance with a bemused look on his face, and, after it fired up,
strolled over and said "Lucas I suppose".

Talking of magnetos, I have 1 or 2 magnetos suitable for T-Series cars
for disposal. If anyone is interested in this and other go faster
equipment such as superchargers let me know.

Geoff Love, The English Connection.