Re: Fuel Pump

To: tom.w.wagner@Central.Sun.COM (Tom Wagner - Program Manager)
Subject: Re: Fuel Pump
From: rdonahue@holli.com (Robert J. Donahue)
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 19:02:36 -0700 (MST)

>To List:
>
>Is it normal for Lucas Fuel Pumps
>to stop for no apparent reason,
>then to tap on them to get them
>going again.

>Tom Wagner
>67 MGB

You bet! At least on an old one. But the culprit isn't Lucas, it's S.U.
I've had to replace the pump on my TD, and also on my 1964 Saab model 96 which
has the same identical unit. I went for years tapping the pump on the Saab
until it finally left me stranded in the middle of nowhere. I can't say it
didn't give me plenty of warning, but I was a stupid teenager then (is there
any other kind? No offense intended Kai.). Get a new pump or rebuild the old
one. It's very uncool to tell your girlfriend that you can get the car going
again, and then tap tap tap tap tap to no avail.

Bob Donahue, Still Stuck in the '50s
rdonahue@holli.com
53 MG-TD under DIY restoration
71 MGB still in shop, 14 months and counting (the TD is winning)