Re: Fuel Pump

To: tom.w.wagner@Central.Sun.COM
Subject: Re: Fuel Pump
From: Nolan Penney & Dawn Mask <npenney@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 19:28:50 -0500
>Is it normal for Lucas Fuel Pumps
>to stop for no apparent reason,
>then to tap on them to get them
>going again.
>
>These pumps are starting to make me feel
>like they are very unreliable.

Somewhere on the web I found an excellent article on the wonders of
these fuel pumps, their various evolutions throughout the years, and
what worked, and why.  The most likely sites I can think of for this are
Scons of Lucas, VTR, and the MG page.

The long and short of it, as I recall, was that the contact points were
very prone to welding themselves together, necessitating that tap to get
them working again.  And that once upon a time Lucas put something
(capaciter?) across the points to prevent the arcing, just like in your
points ignition.  Then, presumably because they worked so well and
prevented aftermarket re-sales, Lucas cut the capaciters off all the old
ones and currently sells them with the capaciter clearly cut off.  The
article strongly suggested reattaching a capaciter.