Re: safety inpections - part whatever.

To: MICHAEL J ROBSON <miker15@juno.com>
Subject: Re: safety inpections - part whatever.
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 16:06:38 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 21 Feb 1997, MICHAEL J ROBSON wrote:

> BTW - the braking equipment  at the test stations is so sophisticated, i
> fear a malfunction is highly unlikely it pinpoints performance to within

> is 91% - good, the other is 156% - bad, go figure!) however we had two
> other little gems to fail on too! -
> 1) A headlamp ring fell off on the way there (ok - i shouldve checked)
> 2) the drivers door mirror is a little loose (emphasis on little, it
> doesnt shake or anything)

Where in the name of heaven do you live???  You make me feel fortunate.
Here, if the car doesn't actually crash into the end of the garage stall,
they figure the brakes must be ok.

I want to suggest a strategy -- look for the sleaziest inspection station
in town.  For many years, I had to suffer through twice yearly inspections
of a rather rusty Toyota that I wanted to keep alive.  As the Toyota grew
rustier, I slowly descended into the depths of the local auto repair
industry.  A friend told me Melvin's (not his real name) Radiator and Auto
repair, located in the basement of another garage, would pass anything.
While waiting for Mel's minion to get around to "inspecting" Little Red, I
watched Mel pull a car in, remove its radiator, spray it black, and
replace it, without doing anything else whatever to it.  I knew I had
found my place.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910