Re: humidity & how our cars run

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: humidity & how our cars run
From: Eddie Sheffield <sheffield@telos.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 12:53:01 -0500
Sam Staton wrote:

> At 09:01 AM 2/23/97 -0500, you wrote:
> >I think that when there is more moisture in the air that there is more oxygen
> >in the air too (remember that water is made up of 2 hydrogen & 1 Oxygen
> >molecule)- more moisture in air means more Oxygen getting into your carbs.
> >Its kind of like a Supercharger - introducing more air to the mixture makes
> >things work better or something. I'm no scientist, I just remember reading
> >something about this somewhere. I think that one of the Listers here is a
> >molecular scientist or something- maybe he can elaborate!
> >Steve Bartley
> >1969 MGB Roadster
> >NAMGBR 6-2585
> >

> In a sense, you absolutely correct. It actually has to do with the density
> of the air. Cooler air (including moister air) is denser. That does provide
> more O2 for out cars to burn. Pilots learn about a factor called density
> altitude, which teaches us that hotter air makes less power in the engine
> and lee lift from the wings, which leads to longer take-off run. Same
> principle applies here - cooler air, more power - car runs better.
>
> Sam Staton
> '73 Rdstr

Actually, the first writer is totally wrong - more moisture means LESS
USABLE oxygen in the air. If you were right, water wouldn't douse a fire
and we could easily breath underwater. The oxygen and hydrogen must be
separated before the O can be used. You can't burn water.

The second writer is much closer. Hotter air = less dense air = less
oxygen to burn and less air for the wings. Cooler air does help in
flying (I'm learning how right now) and having flown in cold and hot
weather, the cold is definately better. You still have the same problem
with moisture though. Unusable/unburnable water molecules displacing the
usable air molecules. More moisture = lower performance.

Actually, the tongue-in-cheek stuff about being British might have some
truth. These cars were designed and built for use in a high humidity
climate, so maybe that has some effect (pure conjecture here.)

Make sense?

HTH,

Eddie