5-Speeds r' Us

To: british-cars@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 5-Speeds r' Us
From: RFeibusch@aol.com
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 18:06:56 -0500 (EST)
Paul Murch <murch@atlas.chem.utah.edu> wrote back to the MG list in response
to the  5-speed conversion info for A-series BMC cars:

I have seen references to these kind of conversions in Hemmings.  Does anyone
know if there is such a kit for
the MGB? I would much rather have an original OD trans
but the cost and availability are unattractive.  Additionally,
are the conversions reversable?  It would be much less attractive if there
are permanent
modifications.......

Paul Murch
66 MGB

Paul,
There is a kit that bolts the bigger Datsun/Nissan gearbox that came in all
of the OHC cars, pickups and 240-280Zs (Inline six versions), but I'm not
sure where to get one. I will check it out.
Anyone out there know anything?  Let us know.

There also is a kit that puts a Toyota Supra 5-speed behind six cylinder Big
Healeys. Peter Petrov at Peter's Marina Motors has done a few and they work
great and require only a centrally cut hole for the shifter to fit. Contact
Peter at 310-399-8313 or look him up at www.englishcars.com

Any of these conversions are reversable but are not always "bolt-in" and may
require a snip here and a drilled hole there.
If you have a 100 point concours car, I would think carefully about any
modifications.  If it's a driver, let it rip.  A big Healey engine is strong
and solid and the rest of the car is built for the road.  Hell, the stock
gearboxes aren't all that bad either but the Toyota unit was designed years
after the Healey went out of production and basically modernizes the whole
feel of the car without distracting from the classic driving experience.
See you on the Funway!
Rick Feibusch
Automotive Journalist/Appraiser
http://www.EnglishCars.com/rick.html