Re: Parts Suppliers

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Parts Suppliers
From: Paul Hunt <on76@dial.pipex.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 1997 19:41:34 -0800
I relate the following as some of my experiences, the index letter bears
no relation the the supplier, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Supplier B.  Showed me some rear springs, seemed OK, had the original
part numbers stencilled on them.  Then I noticed that there was no
interleaving.  Pointed this out and the chap behind the counter
sheepishly admitted they were copies.

Supplier B again.  Needed a water pumnp.  Proprieter looked at existing
one in situ and sold me one that didn't fit properly, one of the fixing
holes was half a hole out.  The paper gasket fitted perfectly, though.

Supplier N.  Had me on a 10 mile wasted journey after they assured me
that they had SPAX shocks with the larger fixing hole, but discovered
that they had the smaller hole when I arrived.

Supplier M.  Ordered above shocks by phone, expressly stated which size
hole I wanted and they were for a chrome bumper car even though I have a
rubber.  They sent the wrong ones.  Phoned them up again, they were most
apologetic, they even called me back after I accidentally cut myself off.
 Brought another pair round by van next day, wrong size again.  Wouldn't
you have thought that having got it wrong once they would have brought
both sizes to be sure?  Sent the correct ones next day.

Supplier L.  Left a manifold with them to be restudded whilst I was on
holiday for two weeks.  Came home, wasn't ready.  Then followed a whole
host of excuses as three promised days came and went.  One of these was
"ran out of gas for the torch".  I was waiting for "ran out of matches"
but they didn't get this far down their list.

Supplier H.  Arranged to have a valuation.  Turned up next day as
arranged to be told "Oh yes, the gaffer mentioned something about that
but he has gone on two weeks holiday and I know nothing about MGs."
Fortunately I had taken along the previous valuation so he copied it onto
their headed paper for no charge.

Workshop C.  Replaced a clutch and left an engine mounting bolt loose,
both gearbox cross-member bolts on one side unscrewed about an inch, and
left the nipple of their timing light in a plug cap so the cap bounced
about on top of the plug as I drove along.

Workshop C again.  Did an MOT test on my daughter car, we took it
elsewhere to have the suspension pumped up then back to C to have the
tracking done.  At that point they discovered a track-rod end so badly
worn they wouldn't let my daughter drive the car till they had fixed it.
Taking advantage, you might say, but they were extremely apologetic and
only charged parts.

PaulH