Re: HIF4 idle speed

To: craigw@sonic.net, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: HIF4 idle speed
From: RJohn50603@aol.com
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 20:53:16 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 97-03-09 17:37:00 EST, craigw@sonic.net (Craig Wiper)
writes:

<< Hi. Now that I've got the HIF4's on the B, that nagging high-idle speed
has
 come back. Backing the idle-adjust screws all the way back doesn't help.
 The butterfly's can still be pushed by hand and closed a bit, bringing the
 idle speed down to where I like it (900rpm or so) instead of about
 1200-1300rpm when fully warm. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to
 keep the idle in check?

Craig,

1. Are all three throttle returns springs in place? If not, replace them.

2. Also, clean the linkages with some spray carburetor cleaner. Then
lubricate your cables (both of them). Make sure there is no restriction in
the throttle shaft rotation or the cables.

3. If you can push the throttle closed reducing the idle speed, the idle
stop screws and / or the fast idle screws are not adjusted properly.

4. The linkages may not be synchronized. That is, one carburetor is holding
the other open just a bit.

5. Since you said pushing on the throttle reduces the idle, it is NOT those
famous overrun valves on the butterflies. IF THEY ARE NOT BROKE, DO NOT "FIX"
THEM. The only reason to do away with them if they're OK is very serious
racing. They cause a tiny bit of restriction.

R. Johnson - Dallas

'90 Maine Coon
'79 Midget
'76 Midget