Re: HIF4 idle speed

To: Craig Wiper <craigw@sonic.net>
Subject: Re: HIF4 idle speed
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 22:03:15 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 11 Mar 1997, Craig Wiper wrote:

> My cable is not the problem. It has plenty of slack at idle. The linkage
> doesn't even engage for about 1/16-1/8 of an inch when I hit the pedal. So,
> the carbs are closing on their own even before I've got my foot off of the
> pedal. I can push the idle screw area on either carb with just a bit of
> pressure and the idle drops. But, there is almost no visible movement of
> the mechanism. So, I'm not sure what is going on. When I have the car in
> for smog testing, the mechanic uses the same method to lower the idle
> within the proper range!
> Craig W.

Is there any possibility your chokes are failing to completely return to
the proper position when you disengage the choke?  On my (different SU)
carbs this happens, and I can force a reduced idle by pushing on the
linkage as you describe, or by pulling the chokes completely to the off
position.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910