Re: HIF4 idle speed

To: craig wiper <craigw@sonic.net>, MGS-Digest <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: HIF4 idle speed
From: Paul Hunt <on76@dial.pipex.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 97 20:37:02 GMT

> Hi. Now that I've got the HIF4's on the B, that nagging high-idle speed has
> come back. Backing the idle-adjust screws all the way back doesn't help.
> The butterfly's can still be pushed by hand and closed a bit, bringing the
> idle speed down to where I like it (900rpm or so) instead of about
> 1200-1300rpm when fully warm. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to
> keep the idle in check?
>
> Thanks for your time.
>
> Craig Wiper, early '74B
>
> Craig Wiper
> craigw@sonic.net
> http://www.sonic.net/~craigw

Had the same problem with the HIF4s on my V8.  These have a different linkage
to the HS4s on my Roadster, don't know what the Roadster HIF4 linkage is like.

On the V8 it was caused by one carb with a slightly longer travel than the
other, this caused the inter-carb linkage to shift out of position on full
throttle causing the carbs to be out of balance at idle.  I re-adjusted the
throttle cable and pedal back-stop so that the pedal travel was ever so
slightly less than the maximum travel of the carbs.  No further problem.

PaulH
73 Roadster HD&H
75 V8 DD