Re: Steam Cleaning (?)

To: joseph_cianciotti@ccmail_gw.gmosf.com
Subject: Re: Steam Cleaning (?)
From: npenney <npenney@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 10:31:29 -0800
>Would steam cleaning the engine bay of my car at one of those coin-op car
>washes
>cause any damage to the paint, mechanical or electrical stuff on my car?  I was
>thinking it would be an easy way to tidy it up a bit. The paint is fine, it's
>just a little dirty.  And wiping around all those hoses and wires would be a
>major pain.  Thanks for your advice.

I used to use a steam jenny to strip paint on equipment prior to painting it.
I've also enjoyed
repairing and occasionally replacing radiators destroyed by steam cleaners.
They are also the best
device ever made for getting water and chemicals into places you never want
them.  Not just under
the distributor cap, but into sealed electrical boxes and bearings.

But, they are also quite good at cleaning engines.  Myself, I prefer using Gunk
engine cleaner
(non-foamy) and the garden hose.