Re: Steam Cleaning (?)

To: joseph_cianciotti@ccmail_gw.gmosf.com
Subject: Re: Steam Cleaning (?)
From: TJ Noto <tjn@rahul.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 1997 17:53:10 -0800
joseph_cianciotti@ccmail_gw.gmosf.com wrote:

> Would steam cleaning the engine bay of my car at one of those coin-op car
>washes
> cause any damage to the paint, mechanical or electrical stuff on my car?  I
>was
> thinking it would be an easy way to tidy it up a bit. The paint is fine, it's
> just a little dirty.  And wiping around all those hoses and wires would be a
> major pain.  Thanks for your advice.

In the Bay Area there exists a place called San Jose Steam
Cleaning.....I had him
do my BMW a year or so ago and it's amazing what a clean car looks like,
and is
like to work on.  He puts your car on a lift and spends about 40 minutes
blasting
it with high-pressure steam...not entirely water...has detergent in
it....it was
cleaner than you could ever do yourself...the neat thing was how much
grime came
away, how many bolts and nooks and crannies you can see afterward, that
you never
knew existed.  I have been dreaming of taking my B there for a long time
but just
haven't gotten around to it.  It costs about $100 and in my mind, if I
was going
to be working on a car ever in the future, it's well worth it....

It's an interesting place this guy has...don't know if others exist,
he's the only
one I ever saw.

Joe, he's down by the Shark Tank....

Regards,
TJ

--
TJ Noto         Palo Alto       CA      USA     http://www.rahul.net/tjn
95 Ducati 916 Strada-"Those things are ticking timebombs"-Russell