re: Steam Cleaning (?)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: re: Steam Cleaning (?)
From: TheSkinny@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 11:46:07 -0500 (EST)
On 3/10/96 Joseph wrote:
>>Would steam cleaning the engine bay of my car at one of those coin-op car
washes cause any damage to the paint, mechanical or electrical stuff on my
car?  I was thinking it would be an easy way to tidy it up a bit. The paint
is fine, it's
just a little dirty.  And wiping around all those hoses and wires would be a
major pain.  Thanks for your advice.
<<

What I do to keep my engine compartments spotlessly clean, is use a spray on
wheel cleaner designed for painted custom wheels.  They are designed to
remove brake dust, road film, etc in hard to reach crevices in
painted/aluminum wheels without scrubbing, and have drying agents to prevent
water spotting.  Cover your distributor, and avoid spraying directly at
alternator & aircleaners.  Spray engine compartment down with water, spray on
cleaner and allow to soak 2-3 minutes, but don't allow to dry, rinse with
strong spray of water.  I never use engine degreaser, because it leaves a
film residue, and can discolor painted surfaces.  If car wont start when
you're done, remove distributor cap and dry thoroughly.

Dave Riker
69 Midget