Re: Ignition coils and SUs

To: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>, MGS-Digest <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Ignition coils and SUs
From: Paul Hunt <on76@dial.pipex.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 97 20:23:10 GMT

> Quick question:
> Do ignition coils just stop all of a sudden(no more spark)?

Yes, they can.

> If you car doesn't start and you crank it for a a few minutes in 5
> seconds spurts, does it ever flood, or do you ever smell gas?

Yes, if I have the choke out too far.

> Having problems getting the car started and I haven't checked the
> ignition yet, cause it's dark outside.  I don't smell any gas, except
> for some on the plugs when I yanked them to check for fouling.
>
> I know it's either gas or ignition.  I was able to get it started after
> a few minutes, but it ran really rough, hinting me to ignition.  I
> assume I'm heading in the right direction.  I'm thinking of just yanking
> some of the old ignition components(ignition coil, points, cap, rotor),
> and just replacing them all at once.  They are really old, and I know
> the coil is as old as the car(it's a '70).  What do you guys think?  I
> don't have any place except a parking garage to work in, I have no time
> because Finals are coming up, so I figured rip-out and replace is the
> way to go.
>
> Jay
> - --
> Jurgen Hartwig
> Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
> uucp:     ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt0003a
> Internet: gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu

Look at a timing light while you are cranking the car, that will tell you if
you are getting a spark or not, try each cylinder in turn.  However it may be
at the wrong time so do a static timing check.  Check the firing order - 1342,
the distributor rotates anti-clockwise, and No 1 is at the front.  If you pull
the choke full out (SUs) and crank it without it starting you will probably
flood it but at least you will know you have fuel.

PaulH
73 Roadster HD&H
75 V8 DD