Re: Vacuum Troubleshoot

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Vacuum Troubleshoot
From: Mark Moburg <markmoburg@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 23:20:29 -0500 (EST)
At 08:20 AM 3/12/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello all

        <<snip>>

>Upon further inspection, I found that neither 1 or 2 cyl. weren't firing.
>I checked spark, and it seemed ok, so I suspected the SU's.  I cleaned
>them, checked the float bowl, cleaned out the chamber, and checked piston
>movement, all ok.  But, when the air cleaner is off, if I cover the
>intake, I get nearly no suction at all, even at high rpms, in comparison
>with the other carb.  The needle seems fine.
>
>What might the list's humble opinion be?  Perhaps some kind of manifold
>leak?  Is there something else I can check?

Have you done a compression check?  It's possible you may have a burnt
valve, or a holed piston; although since you said that 1 and 2 aren't
firing; I'd suspect a burned head gasket between cyl's 1 & 2.  If you've led
a good life, said your prayers, and gone to church, it'll just be the
gasket.  If not, you may have eroded enough material between no's 1 and 2
that the head or block is junk.

My suggestions, FWIW:  Compression check on all four.  If 1 and/or 2 are
significantly below 3 and 4, squirt some oil in the plug hole of the low
cylinder, do the compression test over.  If it comes up the rings are bad.
If not, suspect the valves.  If no compression either way, time to get out
the wrenches.  Or look for a serviceable used engine.

Good luck!

Mark Moburg
markmoburg@mindspring.com