RE: Catalytic Converter?

To: "SLUPECKI A." <ajslupecki@mke9.ra.rockwell.com>,
Subject: RE: Catalytic Converter?
From: Leckstein <bleckstein@monmouth.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 09:20:51 -0500
At 03:45 PM 3/17/97 -0600, SLUPECKI A. wrote:
>There was a 1975 set-up with a single Zenith carb and no cat.  The
manifold is
>identical to the later setup, but the front piece of the exhaust system is
>different; the rest of the exhaust is the same.
>
>It is very common for people to remove the cat and replace with this exhaust
>system, but based on your year, yours is stock.
>
>Andy Slupecki
>78B (with 75 exhaust pipe)
____
>From: Michael Sosnow on Mon, Mar 17, 1997 3:28 PM
>Subject: Catalytic Converter?
>To: mgs@autox.team.net
>
>I have been told that starting in 1975 all American MGBs were equipped
>with a converter unless they are really 1974 1/2s. My 1975 MGB does not
>have a catalytic converter although it is equipped with the single
>zenith carb.  Anybody know if it is stock or modified?
>
>Michael Sosnow
>1975 MGB

I'm no expert on this, but this is news to me. All cars manufactured after
Jan 1, 75 had a Catalytic converter. I always thought the 741/2 was unique
in that the modifications were set for the 75 model year, but they snuck in
a few dual S Us before the Jan 1 deadline. Both my former neighbor, an
another friend had 75's and both had catalytic converters. I may be wrong,
as this is  the limit of my knowledge on the subject

Mike