Re: Alaska: Mosquito repeller

To: "Michael P. Ohleger" <mikeoh@bellatlantic.net>
Subject: Re: Alaska: Mosquito repeller
From: EMILY COWEN <ecowen@cln.etc.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 00:22:42 -0800 (PST)
> Carol (by way of Gregg Baker <gbaker@customcpu.com>) wrote:
> >
> > Maybe the Alaska readers could attest to whether or not the thing is
> > effective. I may get one just to try it out here. We have mosquitoes, too,
> > just not as big!

Depending on where you are, mosquitos could be the least of your
troubles.  Horse/deer flies are bad enough, but the damned No-See-Ums
and black flies are terrible.  Black flies draw blood when they bite,and
the no-see-ums can get through the mesh of mosquito netting.

> > Carol > >

> I agree.  Having met the kind that carry moose away, I can attest to
> their prowess.  I can safely say that Avon "Skin-so-soft" works.  It is

This seems to depend on your body chemistry, and what you've been
eating, whereas "Deet" based products either work, or don't work, for
everybody in the group at the same time.

> better on your skin than DEET and smells better.  You only have to

We had one kid on a Scout camp who didn't like the smell, and ended up
being sent home because the no-see-ums had bitten him around his eyes so
badly while he was asleep that he couldn't see through the swelling.

TTUL8r, Kirk Cowen