Re: Alaska: Mosquito repeller

To: Carol <car@texas.net>
Subject: Re: Alaska: Mosquito repeller
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 00:20:56 -0500
>Barney, Bob, Dick, et al, and list:
>
>I was looking through a JC Whitney catalog the other day and found
>something that you may find helpful ( if it works!) for the MG trip to
>Alaska.
>
>There is an ultrasonic mosquito repeller that looks sort of like a car
>alarm key fob that is supposed to repel mosquitoes. It costs $3.95, takes
>one AA battery, and is supposed to be effective for 10 feet. Clips on your
>person on hangs "wherever."
>
>Maybe the Alaska readers could attest to whether or not the thing is
>effective. I may get one just to try it out here. We have mosquitoes, too,
>just not as big!
>
>Carol

Hi Carol:

Forget the Alaskan mosquitos.  Our Canadian version will just take the
repeller and bomb a bear with it.  As the two mosquitos were overheard to
say, while hovering over a tourist, "Should we take him here?"  "Nah, let's
take him home for the kids to eat".  Just make sure that the boys take lots
of windshield washer fluid to keep those bugs wiped off.  They'll probably
use about 5 gallons just getting to Alaska.  Come to think of it,
considering the effectiveness of the average MG "screenwasher", they might
be further ahead to just carry a lab bottle-full.  It's a lot easier to
just reach over the screen and let fly.  Of course that assumes the wipers
will work.

I always carry a large pump bottle of Windex and a roll of paper towel.  It
works a lot better than the washers when the bugs are thick.

John